Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Second Chance Lens Deal

FLASH! If you reacted a little too slowly to my Feb. 2008 post about the used Canon 1200mm f/5.6 lens that was for sale at B&H Photo, and someone else beat you to it, have I got news for you.
They have another one of these mega ultra rare behemoths in stock.

There is a nice writeup as well as a video of them photographing very important things, like New York store window signs, from across the Hudson River in New Jersey.

The closest focusing distance of this lens is about 46 feet, so you might have to ask those birds you are imaging to please Back Up a Little. That's assuming that you didn't scare them all away as you and a friend strained to hoist the lens onto a suitable heavy duty tripod.

My lens lusts run more along 200mm f/2.8 lines. But watching the video about this lens is fun, much like watching "Top Gear" wring out some exotic car that I'll never ever drive. On the other hand, I might actually see that exotic car when I visit our son in Franklin Lakes, NJ, or cousin Bud in Boca Raton, FL. :)

No comments: