Sunday, February 05, 2006

Walk-A-Thon

Today was the forth annual walk-a-thon to support the Bonaire Special Olympics teams. Participants started at White Slave on the south end at 5 am. and walked, biked, ran, roller bladed, and ? to Rincon.


Buddy, at the Sand Dollar Grocery, reports seeing the first bike go by at 5:30 am. The first runners went by around 6am. I saw power walkers storming past our house around 7 to 7:15 and groups of more relaxed walkers were streaming past as I rode my bike to set up the sound system at church around 8am. I'd guess that Hato is about the half way point maybe. Whew, that's a lot of walking.

Any pioneer visitors to Bonaire remember Larry Theilgard, first director of the Solar Salt Works, and a regular walk-a-thon participant on his trusty bike. I hope I'm still out riding the roads when I'm 77.


Bob Lassiter and I had church responsibilities this morning, so we couldn't do the walk-a-thon. We did zoom out to the finish in Rincon after church to say hi, and to sample the good food. Posted by Picasa


One reported highlight of this year's walk is that no one got rained on! Ah, life's little pleasures.

No comments: