Saturday, August 07, 2010

Wider Angle Milky Way Image

While I was setting up my telescope and binocular mounts the other night, I fired off 100 six second long exposures of the Scorpius and Sagittarius Milky Way. I'm pleased that I was able to pick up some of the varied colors found in this part of the sky.I hope these shots encourage anyone with a DSLR and a tripod to get out there and try your hand at astrophotography. I just stuck the camera on a tripod and used a low cost eBay Chinese controller gizmo to fire off the exposures while I was busy with my other gear. I used a 24mm lens wide open at f2.8 and the ISO was at 1600. I cropped the pictures some because the stars were pretty ugly in the corners - probably a result of using the lens wide open.
This box shows approximately the section of the sky that appears in the astrophoto I posted a day or so ago.

No comments: