Sunday, April 15, 2007

Windsurfing and Power Tools


With some notable exceptions, it seems to have been pretty windy this year. I'm going to try getting back out on the water in the next month or two. I haven't done much of any windsurfing for about 6 years or so, but it's a great complimentary exercise to cycling and I did have fun the last time I went out. (about 1.5 years ago)

So, as step one of my return to windsurfing, I'm reviving my windsurf trailer. The frame had a lot of rust and the dogs ate the lights. So I'm going to fix all that. Above, is a shot of the old faithful trailer up on the lift, with the rust all removed, and primer and paint starting to appear.

Below, is a photo of an air powered needle scaler. It made short work of the flaking rust on the trailer frame. I could get into tight places with this baby, and it didn't destroy the soft surfaces adjacent to the rust. I also used a really nasty knotted wire brush wheel on a electric angle grinder to get down to bare metal any where I could. It was dirty, nasty work, but these cool tools made a huge difference.

No comments: