Monday, October 24, 2016

Driveway Astronomy

I've been experimenting with controlling my camera using my Android tablet. I've tried it a few nights but It hasn't been working like it is supposed to. BUT, I think I've finally figured it out.

I set up in our driveway and kept changing things around until I stumbled on the cause of  the problem, I think. I'll head out to a dark site first chance I get and see if I'm good to go. I shot about 500 exposures tonight as i was experimenting with different settings, but will throw most all of them out.


Here is a stack of the last ten images from the driveway tonight. Each of them is a six second long exposure, so the result is sort of like as if I had kept the shutter open for a minute, but without the stars becoming blurred by the earth's rotation. What amazes me is that we couldn't see the Milky Way at all with the naked eye here in Hato, but the camera picked it out quite nicely.

No comments: