Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Birds of a Feather


The Bonaire parakeet or Prikichi is quite social, and vocal too. There are certain times of the year when we awaken in the morning to the squawks and screeches of hoards of them in clustered in our trees.

There was a flock or two hanging out by Dos Pos on Sunday when I rode by on my bike. That area is quite lush, especially for Bonaire, and the Prikichis made it sound like a tropical rainforest.

I had my camera along, because I often see flamingoes near the road in the late afternoon. The flamingoes didn't cooperate, but I was able to photograph a couple Prikichis, who stayed put long enough for me to stop and get my gear out of the backpack. You can click on the picture to see it bigger, 1024x768 in this case.

The camera weighs a ton, (speaking as a longtime cycling weight weenie) but I may start taking it along more, so I can record some of the cool stuff I see out on the road. If nothing else, I'll feel lighter and faster when I'm not carrying it on those speedy Sat. afternoon group rides I occasionally join.

No comments: