Monday, March 10, 2008

Comet Holmes (one last time)


Well, maybe for the last time. Comet Holmes has been in the vicinity of the California Nebula for a while now. We finally had a clear dark night last night so I could try to capture the pair.


These objects are quite faint, as seen from Bonaire. If we head to a dark site we can just barely see the comet in 10x70 binoculars. I've never seen the California Nebula, except in pictures.


The skies were about as good as it gets on Bonaire last night. Pierre did a lot of binocular observing and I shot a bunch of pictures Sunday night, at our South End roadside observatory. I'll post some others over the next few days. And then I'll probably revisit these images in the future as my astro photo processing skills improve.


The California Nebula is the long red thing. The comet is the round thing to its immediate right.

No comments: